Golf Lessons in Oakville:
TOUR Performance Golf Academy offers golf lessons in Oakville, Ontario for golfers of all ages and skill levels. We actively coach golfers of all skill levels in Oakville, from beginner to professionals with an emphasis on furthering skill development and technique to help increase enjoyment of the game. Whether it be hitting a golf ball for the first time, correcting bad habits with golf short game clinics, or fine tuning your swing for competitive golf players, we have experienced and personable PGA professional coaches ready to take your golf game to the next level.
If you are a beginner, we get it… Golf typically seems overwhelmingly complicated the first time you pick up the club. To those who know nothing about golf, our goal is to help you navigate through the initial uncertainty and accelerate your learning and understanding of the game. There is no worse feeling than the disappointment of not being able to make good contact with the ball, and we will help you get over that hurdle, even turning your swing into something that turns a few heads.
There’s often a lot of questions surrounding what equipment you actually need to get into golf.
Here’s a short list of equipment we believe is essential:
- Of the 14 clubs you can have in your bag, you’ll need this one for sure!
- Starting out with a gap or pitching wedge, and a sand wedge should be sufficient for most scenarios starting out, this is an easy club to add to your bag individually at a later point
- Believe it or not, when you are starting out you don’t need to go and spend $700 on a set of irons.. Starting out with a 7-iron and a 9-iron will give you the highest chance of initial success. The higher irons are much more forgiving and allow for easier contact. Once you’re consistently hitting with the 7 and 9-iron, that would be the time to make the investment in a full set of irons as you begin to expand your skillset
- The one club that everyone knows, and everyone loves to try and smash; the driver. This is a club that you will want to have in your bag, but is also something you can upgrade individually if you decide to invest into golf down the road. Start out with a fairly inexpensive second hand driver to start and see where that takes you.
- Woods and hybrids are clubs that take a bit more practice and refined skill to hit with success. Unless you can get these included with your other clubs, these are not vital to have starting out. These would be additional clubs that you can add to your bag as the need arises down the road.
The company I trust with all my golf equipment and golf fitting needs is Modern Golf.
So, now you know the equipment you need, what are the next steps?
First step is practice. Although it may be frustrating at first, constant and consistent practice is the key to any skill and golf is no exception. Getting an introductory golf lesson to start is also a great idea and can drastically expedite the timeline of making constant contact with the ball and preparing you for the course.
Second step is to get out there and give it a go on the course. Although this may be intimidating, go out and have fun! Enjoy the outdoors, the fresh air and just relax, you’ll be shocked at some of the shots you’ll make! If you’re liking what you see and want to start working at your game, we highly recommend booking a coaching evaluation session (or a junior coaching evaluation session for players under 18 years old) with a PGA Instructor to eliminate any bad habits from the start, and refine your swing mechanics and technique to become more consistent.
We hope you found this information useful and we’re excited for you to join the golf community and many other players learning how to golf in 2021. If you have any questions about our programs, or booking a lesson please contact us.
PGA of Canada
PGA of Canada